Monday, May 13, 2013

SpongeBob and the 7 Deadly Sins

A friend of mine recently told me that he read that SpongeBob- yes, that seemingly innocent children's show- is actually not so innocent, and that in fact, it was confirmed from the creators themselves that the characters are based on the 7 deadly sins. That's just so wrong, and I'm not sure I totally believe it yet.
Mr. Krabs is greed, Plankton is envy probably, Squidward is anger, Patrick is sloth, Gary is gluttony, Sandy is pride, and that leaves SpongeBob with lust which makes absolutely no sense at all!!
I still like SpongeBob, but I definitely think differently of it now. It's kind of creepy. I thought they just made up characters, but to think that the innocent and likable characters on the show are supposed to represent the 7 deadly sins, it just makes my head spin. Again, I don't totally believe it.
I am NOT calling the creators liars, but I think it's more likely they just realized that their characters could represent the 7 deadly sins and decided to say that's what they represented.
I don't think the creators were trying to glorify the sins as it might seem. I think it was just inspiration to create the characters at first, but that's still kind of creepy to me. The sins themselves are creepy and to think a playful and harmless show like SpongeBob based its characters off the sins is just really really creepy to me! Especially because it's a kids' show.
I hope this has been an interesting fact to you people. Also, to support my credibility, the DVD of the first season says that SpongeBob was based on the 7 deadly sins, so this has been confirmed and is NOT a rumor.

-Lilly J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment